Friday, July 1, 2011

Tennis Match Emotional


I'm totally team Federer! When he set the Grand Slam record last year I was as excited as I was disappointed this year when he lost early on at Wimbledon.


Ok...half of you (well 3/4...umm..99% of you) are actually surprised that my return to the blogoshere comes in the form of a sports entry but I do love me some tennis. Not as much as basketball, but I love tennis.

Anyway, my allegiances in the sport weren't too strong except when it came to disliking Novak Djokovic. There's just something about him that turns me off. It might be concentration or determination that comes off as arrogance or something. (Actors-actually everyone-please note- sometimes what we think we're projecting is not at all what the others are receiving.) I love Federer, I like Nadal, Tsonga and Murray are alright, but Djokovic I wanted to take down.

Emotional twist in the story- Winning today's match, Djokovic is guaranteed to be the number 1 player in the world come Monday morning. Win or lose the finals, he is number 1 on Monday. The pride and happiness this guy showed when he kissed the ground shook me to my core. His family jumping up in unison to celebrate tugged at my shortest heartsttrings and unwound them like a ball of yarn at a kitty's paws. (Wine with that cheese anyone?) When interviewed he acknowledged that even though it is an individual sport, a victory like this isn't possible without the support of those closest to you. He made no mention of being number 1 and just focused on the fact that he has another game to play on Sunday.

Dear Novak: Thanks for reminding me what determination and focus and passion is all about. Thanks for reminding me that it takes a village. Thanks for relighting that light and making me see past my prejudices and share an emotional experience with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment