Thursday, July 28, 2011

Theatre kids love a little harder- Babes in Arms

Well, it's about an hour before the call for final dress rehearsal of 'Babes in Arms' at Stagedoor. Everything that had to be taught has been taught. Everything that had to be rehearsed has been rehearsed. Everything that had to be polished has been polished. For the next hour or so there is nothing I can do except reflect on this process, pray that everything works out the way it's supposed to, and enjoy all the fluttery palpitations of emotions in my heart.

There's a time warp at Stagedoor Manor. The full experience is three weeks, but there's really about ten days to put up a show; two rehearsals a day, three during production week. It seems, though, as if we've been at this for months. The 'form, storm, and norm' group dynamics happen within hours, almost minutes of each other. In very little time I've gotten to know and love these kids and a lot.

I've directed and choreographed them through every moment on stage hopefully making the rehearsal process a productive, fun, and memorable one. Now the baton has shifted from my hands to the stage manager's and its time to wait, and let them do their job. There's a mix of nervousness, anxiety, excitement and hopefulness swimming in my chest. Like a proud papa and teacher, I'm eagerly waiting to see them shine on the stage.

All kids are special, but theatre kids are one of a kind. They love a little harder, feel a little stronger, and give a little more. As a director, I'm just a grown up theatre kid and I hope that love shines through during dress rehearsal and performance weekend.

Until I return from camp,
This is Tony...and Theatre camp is what's going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment